Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Sunday 14 September 2014

Review- Wither (The Chemical Garden #1)

   


Title: Wither
Author: Lauren Destefano
Series: The Chemical Garden book 1
Rating: 5/5






Summary
In the not-too-distant future, genetic engineering has turned every newborn into a ticking time bomb: Males die at age twenty-five, and females die at age twenty. While scientists seek a miracle antidote, young girls are routinely kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. When sixteen-year-old Rhine is taken, she enters a world of wealth and privilege that both entices and terrifies her. She has everything she ever wanted - except freedom.

Soon it becomes clear that not everyone at her new husband's home is how they appear. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to escape... before her time runs out.


My Review
Well I'm not sure what I was waiting for cause this book was amazing and I was missing out by not having read this book sooner, now my only problem is the fact that I don't have the other books and I need them really bad now.
    "It doesn't matter how much his mother loves him; love is not enough to keep
      any of us alive."
I was so taken aback by the story line, the threat of death is always close for these characters because of the low life expectancy this world has and it makes every one scramble in this weird situation in which girls are kidnapped and sold off to rich families as sister wives with the goal of carrying on the crazy world. Rhine is stolen from her home and twin bother Rowan and sent to marry Linden and she also gains two sister wives  Jenna and Ciecly and I was very drawn into this book by the strange relationships of all the characters, I really liked the characters but I am not sure that I can say I loved any of them but I fell in love with the way this very strange and unique situation created very strong and very strange tense relationships that involved both trust and fear and almost always at the same time. It was also strange to me the thin line I walked between hating Linden and feeling sorry for him, Sometimes I felt like he was just as much a prisoner of his evil father, Vaughn, as the girls but I think he is aware of the evil in the house and plays the naive card for his own benefit.
I loved the descriptive way it was written it made a terrible tragedy and full of loss but it is wrapped in the beauty of the mansion and the clothes I could understand Rhine getting lost in the world, there were moments even I needed reminding of how she got there, and all the creepy things that could be going on down below.
I really can't wait to continue the series and I hope that the next books have a bit more of the science that is involved in a cure and the reason they die so young and I really hope that Rhine and Gabriel can be a part of finding a cure but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment