Stephanie's books

Clockwork Angel
Eragon
City of Bones
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Golden Compass
Night World, No. 2
Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever
Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn
The Iron Daughter
The Iron King
Nightshade
Divergent
A Discovery of Witches
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Hunger Games
The Host
City of Glass
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Stephanie's favorite books »

Saturday 15 February 2014

ARC Review- Landry Park

Title: Landry Park (Landry Park 1)
Author: Bethany Hagen
Rating: 5/5
Summary
In a fragmented future United States ruled by the lavish gentry, seventeen-year-old Madeline Landry dreams of going to the university. Unfortunately, gentry decorum and her domineering father won't allow that. Madeline must marry, like a good Landry woman, and run the family estate. But her world is turned upside down when she discovers the devastating consequences her lifestyle is having on those less fortunate. As Madeline begins to question everything she has ever learned, she finds herself increasingly drawn to handsome, beguiling David Dana. Soon, rumors of war and rebellion start to spread, and Madeline finds herself and David at the center of it all. Ultimately, she must make a choice between duty - her family and the estate she loves dearly - and desire.

My Review
 I won this book on Goodreads first reads and I was so excited to read it,  Since the summary caught my attention right away and I was not disappointed, this book exceeded any expectations I may have had. Now before I continue my review I just have to say that I received an ARC copy if this book and any quotes and this review are based on uncorrected text. Okay now that's out of the way onto my glowing review of this beautifully written dystopian novel that stole my heart.
I am a lover of the dystopian genre and it seemed to be on a boom lately and that is not a bad thing but it seems if you read to many they start to repeat a bit , well this was not the case with Landry Park I mean yes it did have some of the core ideas the same but I found many things to be different. One thing that I felt was different was the timing of Madeline's stand against her family and version of government, I don't know how to explain without spoiling to much but fans of the Genre will know what I mean when they read this book.
Madeline was a strong Heroine which is always a plus for me, she struggled  a bit like we all do but overall she proved she was more than a tool to be used by her father to run and better the estate. I don't usually care for love triangles but I liked the way this one was done and I believe the difference was the added factor of social standings and keeping up appearances, and I will say I am glad it worked out the way it did in the end. David and Jude were so different and yet so much the same I was in a constant state of uncertainty about both...that is until a very important moment when my mind was made up about both, at least for now anyway :)
The stories of King Arthur and his knights had always interested me and I loved how it was used in this book and I just had to mention it. Jack was a favorite of mine and without giving to much away he is much more important than I had first thought, and when I reached the end I realized that his short talk with a young girl in the woods was the part that stuck out the most for me, he found a way to open Madeline`s eyes to the truth with a short speech and a wise face and for that he will remain one of my favorites and the fighter I will back.
I was really happy with the ending, I felt satisfied and yet hopeful for more and very curious about what will come next for this group who risked everything for the hope of a better world.
This book has come out recently and I think it will be a hit, so get your copy and jump on the wagon and enjoy the wonderful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment